Management Consulting and Analytics (MCA)
Preparing you for Exciting careers with industry-leading consulting firms
This major prepares students for careers in a wide range of management consulting and business analytics disciplines, as well as general management. Students learn how to apply their broad business acumen to develop insight, a point of view supported by data, and drive managerial action to improve an organization’s performance.
Students develop knowledge and analytical skills to break down complex strategic problems and develop robust and innovative solutions, successfully combining the analytical, data-driven and consulting tool-supported approach with the relationship and emotional intelligence side of successful consulting engagements. An important part of the students’ development is focused on the practical application of skills in strategy, management analysis, and cross-functional and holistic approaches to create value for real-world customers through semester-long team-driven consulting projects.
- Top-notch academic education with a focus on practical application.
- Experienced and student-centric faculty with significant management consulting experience.
- Exciting careers with industry-leading consulting firms like Deloitte, Accenture, EY, KPMG, etc.
- Partnership with university-leading student organization Consulting Group at VT.
- Concentration with a proven track record with a 90%+ placement rate.
- Excellent first major and great concentration for a double major that is valued by employers.
- Consulting jobs are number one landing place for Pamplin graduates.
- Career paths in various industries, different business areas and different geographies.
- Above-average starting salaries of $68,000.
- Preparation for careers in an exciting and growing industry.
- Development of success-critical skills and competencies in teamwork, project management, technology and data analytics.
- Capstone course dedicated to a semester-long real-world consulting project with external clients.
- Robust analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to analyze data and “sense-making” capabilities to tell a story through data.
- Ability to learn quickly and process information.
- Passion to work in teams, both with clients and other consultants.
- Strong people and relationship-building skills.
- Thrive with change, being flexible and comfortable dealing with uncertainty.
- For more information, please contact Professor Dirk Buengel at DirkBuengel@vt.edu.
- Practical workshops with industry-leading consulting firms
- Semester-long consulting projects with external clients from various industries and regions supported by industry practitioners
- Specific application of concepts in cases studies and capstone consulting project
- Potential engagement with VT Consulting Group
- Ability to Multi-Task
- Collaborative Team Player
- Strong Communication Skills
- Business and Industry Knowledge
- Quantitative and Analytical Skills
- Researching and Data Collection Skills
- Interpersonal Skills and Humility
Business Analyst, Data Analyst, Strategy Consultant, Business Intelligence Specialist, Project Leader, Client Manager, Consulting Manager, Change Management Consultant
- Management of customer relationships
- Financial and marketing activities
- Supply chain management
- Human resource planning
- Pricing decisions
- Sports team game strategies